Thursday, November 09, 2006

Kissing identity card of ITALY

I will start with my country a series of "kissing identity cards", that is summaries about the practice of the cheek kissing in European countries.

Who kisses who (genders):
women kiss women, men kiss women, men may kiss men (relatives or close friends)
Number of kisses: 2 (standard) or 3
Starting from: the left cheek (your right)
Whom to kiss:
- relatives
- friends
- acquaintances (usually not upon first meeting)
DO kiss:
- upon meeting relatives (even every day, depends on people)
- upon meeting or leaving friends you haven't met or won't meet for a long time
- to express congratulations (e.g. marriage) or wishes (e.g. Christmas, birthday)
- to thank someone you know (e.g. for a gift)
- to show affection (to relatives and close friends)
DO NOT kiss:
- upon meeting or leaving someone you see everyday (except relatives)
- upon meeting someone for the first time
- in formal situations

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by (your right)
Do I go TO the right= touching the other person with my left cheek or the other way around?

As I recall in Roma everybody seemed to begin by going to their left and touching the other persons right cheek with their own right cheek.

Michele said...

Hi Joe and thanks for your comment.
Yes, I did mean that you move your head to the right and start kissing the other person's left cheek.
This is what I almost always see. I have never seen how Romans kiss, maybe they do it in a different way?