Friday, December 22, 2006

Kissing in Cherbourg (Normandie, France)

Another town I visited during my holidays in Normandie was Cherbourg, an important harbour in the Cotentin paeninsula. I went there to visit an interesting Fine Arts Museum and stayed there only a couple of hours, but this let me learn a little about the practice of the bise in Cherbourg. You could imagine it is similar to that in Bayeux, couldn't you? Well, you will be wrong. For what I have seen, the most spread number of cheek-kisses was four. I remember a pretty girl who kissed an elder man four times. I also saw people exchange two bises and others just one, but one kiss looked as the most unusual option.
In a small village in the internal part of Normandie, called L'Aigle (The Eagle in English), I saw people exchange three or four kisses, the latter being the most frequent.
In both cases, I couldn't observe many people who practised this gesture, but this can already provide clear evidence of how much the French kissing custom varies not only from region to region but, I would say especially, within the same region. That is why la bise is the most puzzling custom even for the French!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Aritul said...

I wish you would do more blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at kissing-cheeks-europe.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Jules

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly glad to discover this. great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly delighted to find this. great job!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are an expert in this field, great post and keep up the great work, my friend recommended me it.

My blog:
rachat credit lyon et sos Rachat de credit

Anonymous said...

J'aime vraiment votre article. J'ai essaye de trouver de nombreux en ligne et trouver le v?tre pour ĂȘtre la meilleure de toutes.

Mon francais n'est pas tres bon, je suis de l'Allemagne.

Mon blog:
Regroupement De Credit et Rachat de credit bancaire

Anonymous said...

As a web site owner I think the material here is really magnificent. I appreciate it for your time. You must maintain it and keep it up forever! Excellent work.
My website is [url=http://www.thehealthydietplan.net]High protein diet plan[/url].

Anonymous said...

New here, discovered kissing-cheeks-europe.blogspot.com by searching bing and definitely like it here, will enjoy my stay

By the way I have a awesome web-site about
[url=http://www.reference-global.com/doi/abs/10.1515/bfup.2011.006]vorgetÀuschte abmahnung[/url] and suggest to evrybody to view it.

Anonymous said...

I always like to have a read about such things, my blog is related if you want to have a look round it please feel free. I have added yours to my bookmarks.
Welcome to my site : [url=http://www.neckbackpainrelief.org]Joint pain relief[/url]