Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(Non-)kissing in Bulgaria

I spent three months in Sofia (Bulgaria) from September to December 2010.
I won't write anything about my work experience at the local Italian embassy here; I'll just stick to the main greeting-related topic.
Before going to Sofia, I thought Bulgarians would be a warm people, like Slavic people are known to be. Well... I was partially wrong!
When I arrived, I met a young woman I had got in touch with on CouchSurfing, who had offered to share her flat with me (I paid a low rental fare of about 100 euros per month, but I had to move out one month later, because her flat was so uncomfortable and we didn't get on very well). When we met, she gave me her hand, I took it and kissed her on both cheeks. It was ok: she didn't look astonished nor did she react in any particular way, but I guess she wasn't expecting it.
Some days later, I met other people from CouchSurfing at a meeting organized to visit some art museums and galleries. The organizer was a brilliant and pretty girl. When we met, she shook my hand with great energy, but that was all. When we said good-bye, after a pleasant time, she hugged me and I gave her kind-of a kiss on the cheek.
When I met her again, one month later, she still greeted me with a handshake as if that were our first meeting... I was a bit puzzled!
On another day, I met another young woman I had got to know on Facebook, with her husband and their baby. Again, we said hello and good-bye with quite a cold handshake.
I admit I didn't meet many other Bulgarians, but I did see many of them meeting up here and there. I noticed that the most common greetings among friend is, surprisingly, the handshake! Some of them hug, many fewer kiss. Like everywhere in Europe, cheek-kissing is a bit more common among younger people, but still not that common!
I hope there will be more cheek-kisses next time I go to Bulgaria (although I don't know when it's going to be, since my first experience there was not great - mostly due to my work at the Embassy and to the several street dogs that scared me)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Northern Italy, only friends and relatives are kissed, and men only kiss very close friends or relatives, whilst acquaintances are given a handshake; in Southern Italy, both strangers, friends, relatives, and even people of the same gender usually share a kiss.

Anonymous said...

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I'm shocked why this accident didn't happened earlier! I bookmarked it.
[url=http://marketingaces.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=110018 ]pink ribbon merchandise[/url]

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and everything.
However imagine if you added some great visuals
or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is
excellent but with images and clips, this blog could certainly be one
of the very best in its field. Awesome blog!
My site :: barcelona box

Anonymous said...

Hello, after reading this awesome post i am too delighted to share my knowledge here with mates.


My site :: erik.com.co

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post.
Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!



My homepage sex facebook (http://www.zeitnews.org)